Dean of the School of Hospitality
HEADway people has been engaged by the School of Hospitality Business and Management (SHBM) at the University of Mohammed VI Polytechnic (UM6P) to recruit a:
Dean of the School of Hospitality
UM6P is a research and innovation-led institution focused on Africa, which aims to become one of the world’s leading universities.
SHBM's ambition is to become the leading school in Africa in the field of Hospitality and Hotel Management. SHBM aims for quality and high standards in its under/post-graduate and continuing professional development programmes.
Located in the commune of Benguerir, near Marrakech, and housed in the heart of its Green City, the SHBM business and hospitality management school welcomed its first cohort of Bachelor's students in Hospitality Business and Management in the autumn of 2020. This programme is only the first stage in the deployment of a range of services provided for:
- students who are preparing to enter the hospitality and tourism professions,
- professionals in the hospitality and tourism industry.
Aiming for excellence, SHBM has been committed since its creation to developing a demanding quality assurance approach in order to provide academic programmes based on the best standards and drawing credibility from research that is useful to the industry. The School is an associate member of the network of schools certified by EHL (Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne, ranked N°1 in the world in this field).
In order to drive its development strategy, the School is recruiting its new Dean, whose mission will be to pursue an ambitious programme of development and academic innovation for the Institution.
Their main duties will involve:
- Implementing the School's strategy in coherence and in full collaboration with the general strategy of UM6P and Africa Business School (ABS),
- Developing under/post-graduate and continuing professional development programmes,
- Putting the School’s development on a pathway for achieving the best international academic quality and standards,
- Developing the reputation of the school in industry and academia,
- Managing personnel, putting in place and monitoring the relevant performance indicators.
The successful applicant will carry out their duties with a constant focus on the optimal management of human and financial resources, the satisfaction of stakeholders (students, graduates, staff, users, business organisations, French and international partner employers, Society), the development of an international dimension and the development of strong relationships with national and international companies.
Main duties and responsibilities (non-exhaustive):
Mission 1. Strategy and development
- Draw up the development strategy in collaboration and in full coherence with the objectives of UM6P and Africa Business School,
- Develop and oversee a research strategy in line with the standards expected by the University, in order to guarantee the ongoing development of relations with EHL as well as with other partners,
- Develop a strategy for academic programmes (under/post-graduate and continuing professional development) and manage the development of the programme portfolio,
- In collaboration with their own staff and staff from the University, draw up operational and action plans to enable the successful implementation of the development strategy,
- Oversee the operational implementation of the general strategy for the development of existing and future programmes, in collaboration with EHL,
- Oversee the creation and implementation of academic partnerships for programmes,
- Structure and prioritise the deployment of projects and participate in their operational planning.
Mission 2. Organisation and quality assurance
- Be responsible for the development of quality assurances and associated quality control procedures,
- Contribute to the design of academic and management quality KPIs that will allow the achievement of objectives to be effectively monitored,
- Oversee work towards national and international accreditations,
- Lead on, develop and strengthen relations with EHL,
- Guarantee the development and sustainability of the programmes by ensuring a balance between pedagogical, academic, quality of service and economic aspects,
- Organise, implement and manage the resources and means required to achieve the School's ambitions;
- Act as the custodian of the quality of the qualifications and the training provided.
Mission 3. Management and leadership
- Support the growth of the School through a progressive structuring of the organisation by ensuring integration with the central organisation of the University and that of ABS,
- Support the skills development of existing and future staff members,
- Ensure the management and development of the personnel under their responsibility,
- Supervise and coordinate all the programme units,
- Draw up any necessary procedures and supervise their implementation,
- Develop and put in place tools for the monitoring and analysis of HR management, staff and student health and safety,
- Oversee the continuous improvement of the programme and of the School as a whole,
- Draw up and manage the budget per academic year and on a multi-annual basis,
- Initiate changes in the organisation when necessary to improve the operation and quality of the services provided, with regard to management operations, users or stakeholders.
Mission 4. Image, marketing, and communications
- Represent the School inside UM6P and outside UM6P, both with regard to the authorities, partners and opinion leaders, industry and the media,
- Guide and manage external relations initiatives,
- Develop the image and reputation of the School,
- Engage with business organisations at a regional, national and international level,
- Oversee the marketing and communications strategy, in line with the objectives and options identified by UM6P and ABS, ensuring the allocation of the resources required to achieve objectives,
- To fix and manage student recruitment objectives of a quality in line with the School's ambitions,
- Reinforce the impact and influence of the School on its region, throughout the Moroccan Kingdom and in Africa,
- Strengthen the links between the School and its ecosystem.
- Educated to Doctoral degree level, applicants should ideally be able to demonstrate successful experience in a management position: Managing Director, Assistant Managing Director, Director of Studies,
- A background in the field of hospitality management will be an advantage,
- Passionate about the hospitality business, the transformation and developments in the sector,
- Experience or a sound knowledge of higher education is preferred; however, a less experienced candidate may be considered if they are able to demonstrate a solid prior experience matching the person specification and duties described in the job offer,
- Comfortable with new educational methods, including the use of digital technology,
- Solid understanding of the functioning of academic and industry networks,
- Global mindset (open to international and intercultural dimensions),
- Ability to motivate and lead teams throughout strategic projects.
Desirable personal qualities:
- Ability to develop and implement a strategic vision in collaboration with stakeholders,
- Proven leadership & project management qualities and skills,
- Aptitude for strategic vision and the understanding of business models,
- Vision / knowledge of higher education and hospitality management training programmes in particular,
- Proven project-focussed business culture, ability to take and encourage the development of initiatives, pragmatic,
- People and organisation-centred management approach,
- Highly developed interpersonal and written/oral communication skills,
- Languages: French and English.
Position to be filled from November 2020,
Full-time Managerial / Full Professorial contract,
Remuneration package in line with successful candidate’s profile.
Please email your application form and details to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following two interviews with HEADway recruitment consultants, shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend further interviews with the School.